The Lexicon PSP42 is a high quality digital stereo delay and phrase sampler plug-in based on the legendary Lexicon PCM42 processor, known for its unique concept and distinctive sound. With version 2, the Lexicon PSP42’s original vision has been improved both in terms of sonic fidelity and feature flexibility. In addition to the lush tape saturation algorithm and variable sample rate delay line emulation that made the original PCM42 sound so unique, version 2 now adds even more precise hardware audio path modeling in a way that allows the user to quickly determine how much of the original audio should be used.
In addition to the Legacy processing mode of the previous version, the Lexicon PSP42 now offers three alternative modes:
- Clean: clean signal path with no emulation
- Lims: engages two original equipment opto-limiters, one at the input and one just before the A/D converter – the first one affects to raw and processed signals, and the second – to processed signals and feedback signals.
- Full: Enables emulation not only of the limiters, but also of the original A/D and D/A converters in the hardware PCM 42, whose non-linear behavior added to the unique sound.
Lexicon PSP42v. 2 adds several new features not found on the original hardware, including delay times up to 28800ms, adjustable Hi Cut filter frequency, LFO tempo sync and wave phase adjustment, adjustable input gain to simulate -10dBV or +. 4 dBu, options for inverting the envelope controller signal or controlling it with the sidechain input, and four direction modes to simulate different forward and reverse repeat patterns. It even has a Bypass button that leaves the input signal limiter in the signal path, providing subtle, realistic coloration to “dry” signals. All of these new features are presented in an easy-to-use extension panel below the plugin’s standard controls.
The Lexicon PSP42 excels at all types of delay-based effects, from tempo-sync feedback delay with filtering to modulated effects such as flanger and chorus. The modulation section uses PCM 42’s unusual trick of changing the delay time by changing the sample rate to create everything from gentle animation and swing to unpredictable alien sound effects. Superb DSP algorithms ensure smooth performance even at the craziest settings, combining endless plug-in possibilities with unparalleled sound quality.
PSP is the sole developer and manufacturer of the Lexicon PSP42. The functionality and sound of the Lexicon PSP42 are approved by Lexicon.
- High quality signal processing algorithms
- Delay times up to 28800ms (depending on internal sample rate)
- Continuous delay control
- Precise synchronization with host tempo
- Tape saturation emulation based on the algorithm used in PSP mastering processors.
- Analog limiter emulation
- A/D and D/A converter emulation
- Four custom limiter/saturation modes
- Low-pass filter for modeling high-frequency absorption with cutoff frequency adjustment
- Modulation section with three different modulation signal sources (sine, square, envelope detector) ), mixed in any proportion
- The LFO can operate in free-running (Hz) and tempo-sync (beats/measures) modes.
- Four record/playback modes
- Envelope detector sidechain
- Phrase sampler capability
- On-the-fly parameter filtering and crossfades for smooth, click-free performance
- Sample rate support up to 384kHz
- Extensive preset library